Sunday, July 26, 2009

Where I Get Inspiration

People often ask me where I look for inspiration. Usually I abstractly say my garden, architecture, books, or the newest reed color. A few days ago I wanted to weave a basket because of a friend's painting. Her choice of color combinations, the amount of each color used, and the composition - together motivated me to start a new basket. What I found interesting and sort of amazing (because I hadn't put it together until the basket was finished) was that a few days before, I had bought one of my favorite varieties of orchids. Many of the colors in the orchid, were also in the painting and I had used them in the new basket! Sometimes I'm more aware of the color choices I make, other times I just feel drawn to a particular palette and it isn't until afterwards that I understand where the influence had come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment